Friends of Blackstone School, Inc. (“Friends”) was formed by current school volunteers and neighbors to support the school by raising funds and engaging the South End community. Impressed by the sense of excitement and achievement within the school, the Friends believe that urban public schools deserve broad community support. We believe that the surrounding community can benefit as much as the students by neighbors getting involved in a meaningful way close to home.
Friends was incorporated during the summer of 2012 and secured IRS tax-exempt status by the end of the summer. We have no paid staff and have benefited from the tremendous generosity of individuals and local organizations in getting started.
Based on the school’s priorities set by the school’s Site Council, our Board adopted the following four development areas:
- Provide support and supplies for teacher use in the classrooms
- Support parent and family involvement in the school
- Support curriculum enrichment and professional development for the teachers and professional staff
- Improve the physical appearance of the school
In the short time that Friends has existed, community support has been outstanding. Some of the early support includes –
- Creative design, branding and website development by Sametz Blackstone Associates
- Hosting of 3 volunteer appreciation events this school year by Barbara Lynch at her South End restaurants and test kitchen, B & G Oysters, The Butcher Shop, and Stir
- Donation of swim suits and towels by TJX Companies for Blackstone students to receive swimming instruction at the school
- Legal assistance from Jason Cotton of Arnold and Peabody, for incorporation and filing with the IRS for tax-exempt status
- Accounting assistance from John Schachter + Associates, Inc.
- Payment for translation services to ensure parent participation in the development of the school mission and vision statements
- Support for the school staff in preparing Thanksgiving baskets for school families
Please explore this website to learn more about how you can get involved with the Blackstone School. We appreciate any help that you can provide and look forward to working together to support the Blackstone School.